What is a fab lab?
- Fab labs are a global network of local labs, enabling invention by providing access to tools for digital fabrication
What’s in a fab lab?
- Fab labs share an evolving inventory of core capabilities to make (almost) anything, allowing people and projects to be shared
What does the fab lab network provide?
- Operational, educational, technical, financial, and logistical assistance beyond what’s available within one lab
Who can use a fab lab?
- Fab labs are available as a community resource, offering open access for individuals as well as scheduled access for programs
What are your responsibilities?
- safety:not hurting people or machines
operations:assisting with cleaning, maintaining, and improving the lab
knowledge: contributing to documentation and instruction
Who owns fab lab inventions?
- Designs and processes developed in fab labs can be protected and sold however an inventor chooses, but should remain available for individuals to use and learn from
How can businesses use a fab lab?
- Commercial activities can be prototyped and incubated in a fab lab, but they must not conflict with other uses, they should grow beyond rather than within the lab, and they are expected to benefit the inventors, labs, and networks that contribute to their success